Google Summer of Code 2010 Ideas
Below are some ideas for projects for Google Summer of Code.
Please feel free to suggest your own project if you would like.
- OAI-PMH expansion. The OAI-PMH implementation in KORA was implemented last summer and needs expansion and further integration with KORA. The initial implementation still requires developers using KORA to write code to enable a specific project to share metadata with harvesters. This will entail changing some of the security settings/levels in the code.
- Interoperability with Fedora Commons / D-Space storage format - The ability to import records from Fedora Commons and D-Space is needed to help with transition from using one of these packages to using KORA. The ability to export data from KORA and import into Fedora Commons and D-Space would be a secondary goal. Currently there is an XML import functionality that
- Expansion of the fixity framework. There is still the need to a distributed approach to calculating file checksums on multiple clients as to not overload the server that KORA runs on. The client does not need to be written in PHP.
- Implementation of PREMIS metadata for files ingested into KORA. This would include automatic identification of as much of the fields as possible.
- Integration of a search engine/indexing application to increase the search capabilities of KORA. This would include client-side access to the index via the search library.
- Public Ingestion framework - a method for allowing public contribution of records needs to be devised. A commentary / moderation device is needed also with this. Tag Clouds for projects and records could also be looked into.
- Re-working / create a better plug-ins capability - currently KORA allows for specialized control types via class extension and adherence to data formatting. This works well for some data storage but could be more robust. Either an additional plug-in capability needs to be added or a redesign of the current control system is needed. This idea would need a solid design approved before moving forward with it.
- Pre-defined output generation - This feature would allow users to select pre-defined data schemes and output parameters, allowing them to output web pages without having to know how to program using the search library. The web output would need to be in php to ensure server side support. A good example of this pre-defined output could be a photo gallery or a media player. Part of this idea would also be to expand beyond these simple examples.
- A web service exists that was written in the early stages of KORA. It allows for access to the information stored in KORA using any type of programming language that can process XML documents. The documentation and web service itself is in bad need of a re-write and update to handle any data type / control that is in KORA. This may entail adding functionality to the existing controls to accomplish this.